Booth newcomer Akromatik takes his stage name from an English word meaning “without color.” I can only assume that’s a riff on the emcee’s melanin deficiency, because the bars he delivers on this freshly-released EP standout are as vivid as they come. Named after a line from De La Soul‘s Stakes Is High, twentyfourseven sees the Vancouverite documenting his lifelong love affair with hip-hop in verses loaded with polysyllabic rhymes, compelling imagery and references to rap legends. Def 3 provides a lushly sampled backdrop for Akiromatik’s lyrical coming-of-age story, complementing his guitar-driven groove with vocal snippets from the aforementioned De La cut and Artifacts’ equally classic Art of Facts. The EP to which this record will be attached has yet to receive either a title or a drop date, but those digging twentyfourseven can, of course, watch our pages for further song releases off the set.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)