Akon’s Time is Money leaked a little over a year ago, but today we finally get the final, mastered version, which finds the Konvict CEO replacing former guest feature Caribbean duo Rock City with Big Meech (yes, that Big Meech). Speaking of which, the Black Mafia Family represneter opens the song by dropping a gem about the difference between broke dudes and paid dudes that’ll make you question which category you fit into. From there it’s into producer Akon’s self-made production, which manages to be both eerie and clean, haunting and a banger at the same time. It’s the perfect backdrop for ‘Kon to unleash his trademark half-sung, half-rapped style as he vents about the trials and tribulations he’s faced, even while experiencing dizzying heights of success. Akon hasn’t decided whether or not Time Is Money will appear on his still untitled and unscheduled upcoming album, so I’m guessing that depends on how the track’s received. So how about it Booth? Does this song have what it takes to bring Akon back into the spotlight as a solo artist? We’ll find out soon in the comments below.
Written by Adeshola Adigun on 05/9/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smack That" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.