If you woke up this morning thinking, “I wonder what Akon is up to lately?” or “I really hope Chris Brown tries to rap on another song – his verse on ‘Look At Me Now’ was actually pretty good!” then today just might be your lucky day. Akon’s back with the brand new, Polow Da Don-produced single Take It Down Low featuring a rap-ish verse from Chris Brown and a lot of robotic sounds. After the lukewarm-to-outright hostile reception of his participation on the 25th Anniversary edition of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, Akon seemingly slipped under the radar. If there was any way to recover from that blow, a boisterous and bass-heavy club banger is a good bet. People are willing to forgive a lot when your song instructs inebriated females to “take it down low,” especially when Polow Da Don delivers the goods with robust production that challenges the listener to remain still. It’s been about three years since Akon’s last album - with new project Stadium on the way, could this be the single that puts him back on top as a solo artist?
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 04/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smack That" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.