If you woke up this morning thinking, “I wonder what Akon is up to lately?” or “I really hope Chris Brown tries to rap on another song – his verse on ‘Look At Me Now’ was actually pretty good!” then today just might be your lucky day. Akon’s back with the brand new, Polow Da Don-produced single Take It Down Low featuring a rap-ish verse from Chris Brown and a lot of robotic sounds. After the lukewarm-to-outright hostile reception of his participation on the 25th Anniversary edition of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, Akon seemingly slipped under the radar. If there was any way to recover from that blow, a boisterous and bass-heavy club banger is a good bet. People are willing to forgive a lot when your song instructs inebriated females to “take it down low,” especially when Polow Da Don delivers the goods with robust production that challenges the listener to remain still. It’s been about three years since Akon’s last album - with new project Stadium on the way, could this be the single that puts him back on top as a solo artist?
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 04/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smack That" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.