It’s official: R&B boy groups are back in style. With Day26, Brutha, Midwest City, and Nephu busily crooning their way into the hearts of ladies everywhere, the market is a little crowded at the moment, but Sing-Sing, Big Mike, Mr. Jones and K.C. of Ahmir are confident that their take on the subgenre is unique enough to catch the attention of listeners hungry for soulful harmonies. This Double-U-produced cover version of Ne-Yo‘s Closer certainly doesn’t sound like your average R&B jam – for one, the beat’s endlessly-layered synthesizer parts make the cut feel more claustrophobic than sensual – not that that’s a bad thing – and secondly, Ahmir has a secret weapon in DJBooth favorite K. Sparks, who displays his trademark lyrical agility at the tail end of the track. Though Sparks should bring a ratings boost from Booth regulars, the question remains: does this up-and-coming quartet have what it takes to climb to the top of the R&B-group pile?
Written by richard on 12/18/08
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.