It’s official: R&B boy groups are back in style. With Day26, Brutha, Midwest City, and Nephu busily crooning their way into the hearts of ladies everywhere, the market is a little crowded at the moment, but Sing-Sing, Big Mike, Mr. Jones and K.C. of Ahmir are confident that their take on the subgenre is unique enough to catch the attention of listeners hungry for soulful harmonies. This Double-U-produced cover version of Ne-Yo‘s Closer certainly doesn’t sound like your average R&B jam – for one, the beat’s endlessly-layered synthesizer parts make the cut feel more claustrophobic than sensual – not that that’s a bad thing – and secondly, Ahmir has a secret weapon in DJBooth favorite K. Sparks, who displays his trademark lyrical agility at the tail end of the track. Though Sparks should bring a ratings boost from Booth regulars, the question remains: does this up-and-coming quartet have what it takes to climb to the top of the R&B-group pile?
Written by richard on 12/18/08
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.