What have After the Smoke been up to since dropping off Typical Weekend back in October? Oh nothing much—just kicking it, making music, inking a record deal. Say what? That’s right: the Tallahassee twosome are now major-label signees. I’m happy to say the duo haven’t sacrificed their eccentric style in the transition to the big leagues. Come & Leave, their first featured single since the move, finds them delivering characteristically louche, abstract bars over Daygee‘s moody sample work. Singer Voila Snow imbues the record with a dash of old-school soul, lending her smoky vocals to the chorus, and director Rob Coin provides a fittingly macabre visual accompaniment. Feeling it? More awaits on After the Smoke’s Microwaves EP, scheduled for release July 9.
Written by richard on 05/16/13
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.