Once upon a time, in a city not too far from yours, tales told by great artists and musicians flourished and spread throughout the land. Musical mammoths like Louis Armstrong, Gil Scott-Heron, Common, Kanye and Lupe Fiasco challenged people to look at situations beyond their own lives with words and sound. Here’s a cat that we can add to that impressive list: Add-2. (Can you say Chi City?) The sweet speaker drops a rich record titled Chicago Blues, produced by newcomer, IntlMC (International MC). Holding onto the elements of storytelling, poetry and honesty, Add-2 keeps it close to classic hip-hop on Chicago Blues, which is embroidered with the historical sounds of the Chicago-styled jazz scene. All in all, it’s a bittersweet reminder of pre-industry Kanye. While this song doesn’t have a home on an album yet, those hungry for more stories from Add-2 should check out his cleverly named Tale of Two City’s blog, which also has the full lyrics for Chicago Blues, and his Tale of Two’s City mixtape series. I hope he makes it a habit. I’ll take a story from him over Charles Dickens any day.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Walk in the Park" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.