Once upon a time, in a city not too far from yours, tales told by great artists and musicians flourished and spread throughout the land. Musical mammoths like Louis Armstrong, Gil Scott-Heron, Common, Kanye and Lupe Fiasco challenged people to look at situations beyond their own lives with words and sound. Here’s a cat that we can add to that impressive list: Add-2. (Can you say Chi City?) The sweet speaker drops a rich record titled Chicago Blues, produced by newcomer, IntlMC (International MC). Holding onto the elements of storytelling, poetry and honesty, Add-2 keeps it close to classic hip-hop on Chicago Blues, which is embroidered with the historical sounds of the Chicago-styled jazz scene. All in all, it’s a bittersweet reminder of pre-industry Kanye. While this song doesn’t have a home on an album yet, those hungry for more stories from Add-2 should check out his cleverly named Tale of Two City’s blog, which also has the full lyrics for Chicago Blues, and his Tale of Two’s City mixtape series. I hope he makes it a habit. I’ll take a story from him over Charles Dickens any day.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Walk in the Park" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.