Heads seem to agree that there was a Golden Age of hip-hop, but no one can agree on precisely when it occurred. Add-2, for one, can pinpoint his sweet spot right down to the year—but why tell, when he can show? On newly-leaked mixtape inclusion 94 Style, the Windy City representative jumps into his Wayback Machine to give us a musical demonstration of what he considers “real hip-hop.” Navie D sets an authentic mid-90’s mood on the production tip, serving up a lightly jazzy piano-loop/breakbeat arrangement that could’ve been pulled from a classic De La joint, and Add comes with rhymes to match. In addition to channeling the dense, allusive, playfully self-confident rhyme style of the alt-rap greats, the artist keeps his pop-culture callouts relatively era-appropriate—Roseanne Barr gets a name-drop, as does long-running Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak. (Jesse White Tumbling Team references, of course, are timeless.) Does this laid-back banger leave you itching to bust out your copies of Buhloone Mindstate, Midnight Marauders and other ‘94 touchstones? Then Add-2’s accomplished his mission. For more new-old-school bangers, check out the artist’s Save Our Souls mixtape, set to hit the ‘net “soon.”
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Walk in the Park" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.