Damn, talk about a back story. AC, the Staten Island emcee and infamous DJBooth Freestyle alum we last heard hard rhyming on About No One, strikes a much more melancholy tone on his new single Angel, a record that serves as a dedication to Lina Morgana, the tragically killed up-and-coming singer whose style and sound her mother claims Lady Gaga stole to craft her superstar career. A re-working of Morgana’s material (that’s her on the vocals), Angel find producer J. Glaze updating the original beat (by Rob Fusari) into a melancholy hip-hop jam that still strikes an appropriately mournful tone. And while I’m more familiar with AC’s more aggressive work, his deeply lyrical work here has given me a new appreciation for his rhyme abilities: “There are some souls that can’t be saved / watch my angel fly away.” Is it just me or is it getting a little dusty in here? Angel isn’t part of a larger project (yet), but it’s only a matter of time before the hard-working AC has another track for us. Keep it locked to the Booth for more.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/10
Submit your Rating
Rare Unlimited Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What You Sippin' On?" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.