Booth newcomer Ab’stract isn’t just on another level, he’s in the stratosphere—in fact, he’s soaring so far above ordinary consciousness that you might need a couple hits off the peace pipe in order to get on his wavelength. Me, I haven’t partaken in years, so I’ll only be able to offer a rough approximation of the record’s manifest dopeness. The Bronx representative first Booth feature, newly-released album standout High for This finds Flashbeats layering cinematic synth-strings over a resolute, reverb-drenched percussion rhythm as the up-and-coming spitter offers his perspective on the grind. Though his flow is razor-sharp, his bars are as blunted as they come, roving from food-related punchlines to surreal thought experiments: “I’ve been thirty thousand feet up, this is where I re-up / Got y’all waitin’ in line ‘cause I flow like free lunch / Food for thought, I’m movin’ on, put you where you belong. / If the music and I go hand-in-hand, what would happen if I lose an arm?” (I know that was supposed to be a rhetorical question, but wouldn’t he just walk on the other side of music?) Fans can find High for This and much more on Ab’stract’s Sucks to Be Me LP, scheduled for release in mid-August. In the meantime, click here to watch the artist perform the record live at NYC’s Webster Hall.
Written by richard on 07/3/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.