Booth newcomer Ab’stract isn’t just on another level, he’s in the stratosphere—in fact, he’s soaring so far above ordinary consciousness that you might need a couple hits off the peace pipe in order to get on his wavelength. Me, I haven’t partaken in years, so I’ll only be able to offer a rough approximation of the record’s manifest dopeness. The Bronx representative first Booth feature, newly-released album standout High for This finds Flashbeats layering cinematic synth-strings over a resolute, reverb-drenched percussion rhythm as the up-and-coming spitter offers his perspective on the grind. Though his flow is razor-sharp, his bars are as blunted as they come, roving from food-related punchlines to surreal thought experiments: “I’ve been thirty thousand feet up, this is where I re-up / Got y’all waitin’ in line ‘cause I flow like free lunch / Food for thought, I’m movin’ on, put you where you belong. / If the music and I go hand-in-hand, what would happen if I lose an arm?” (I know that was supposed to be a rhetorical question, but wouldn’t he just walk on the other side of music?) Fans can find High for This and much more on Ab’stract’s Sucks to Be Me LP, scheduled for release in mid-August. In the meantime, click here to watch the artist perform the record live at NYC’s Webster Hall.
Written by richard on 07/3/12
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)