For all of you who don’t hablo espanol, Sopa is Spanish for “soup”, and coincidentally I had a delicious sopa de cebolla for lunch just yesterday. Wait..hold on…I’m being told by Ab-Soul that the title of his new single is not a reference to hot liquid cuisine but SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act that the internet recently revolted against. Then again, considering that very little of SOPA can be directly construed as a reference to that controversial legislation, maybe Ab-Soul’s got a whole different acronym in mind. Whatever the entomology, SOPA is built around a distinctly minimalistic beat from Nez & Rio that’s all snaps, shouts and growling bass. For his part on the mic, Soul continues to lay down that dystopian TDE-style that’s part swag, part apocalypse and all original: “Oh you the kid? I’m Joseph Kony / chip off the block since puffy socks and my Sauconys.” As for the meaning of SOPA, we might just have to wait until Ab-Soul’s full length project Control System drops on May 11 to figure it out. In the meantime, get to rating and commenting below.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/24/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.