With a few notable exceptions (cough, Asher Roth, cough), rappers who were born sucking on the proverbial Silver Spoon are loath to admit it – it kinda throws a wrench into the archetypical rags-to-riches narrative. One of an increasing number of emcees willing to break from the pack, Ab-Soul admits on his latest feature that, though he’s not rolling in the dough just yet, he’s had it pretty damn good thus far. Leak number one off the freestyle series alumnus’ forthcoming street album, this laid-back joint finds King Blue flipping an eerily familiar string sample (Anyone I.D. that for me?) as Ab comes with more of the laid-back wit we know and love, reveling in his life of blunted comfort and giving thanks to the people who make it possible “I’m not a dope dealer, I ain’t need to be / That’s for n*ggas that need to eat but can’t; my grandma always feed me.” A laid-back banger that many will undoubtedly be able to, Silver Spoon is set for inclusion on Ab-Soul’s #LONGTERM|MENTALITY mixtape, coming soon to an Internet near you.
Written by richard on 01/25/11
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.