With a few notable exceptions (cough, Asher Roth, cough), rappers who were born sucking on the proverbial Silver Spoon are loath to admit it – it kinda throws a wrench into the archetypical rags-to-riches narrative. One of an increasing number of emcees willing to break from the pack, Ab-Soul admits on his latest feature that, though he’s not rolling in the dough just yet, he’s had it pretty damn good thus far. Leak number one off the freestyle series alumnus’ forthcoming street album, this laid-back joint finds King Blue flipping an eerily familiar string sample (Anyone I.D. that for me?) as Ab comes with more of the laid-back wit we know and love, reveling in his life of blunted comfort and giving thanks to the people who make it possible “I’m not a dope dealer, I ain’t need to be / That’s for n*ggas that need to eat but can’t; my grandma always feed me.” A laid-back banger that many will undoubtedly be able to, Silver Spoon is set for inclusion on Ab-Soul’s #LONGTERM|MENTALITY mixtape, coming soon to an Internet near you.
Written by richard on 01/25/11
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.