Normally, I would not approve nor condone a young artist’s bold decision of sampling a soul legend’s music. I would say first, do your homework and find out what said legend is/was about, then and only then, can you attempt to use their music as your own. In the case of Ab-Soul’s Lust Demons featuring recent DJBoothTV interviewee BJ The Chicago Kid and his fellow TDE labelmate Jay Rock, the jury is undecided. The West Coast youngster did a decent job in doing Isaac Hays’s Aruba some justice as he put his own 2012 spin on the struggle between having a conscience and promiscuity. Although I don’t think he outdid the original, I will say that Ab owned the track with his unique style and creative approach to the song. Lust Demons is indeed a standout cut on Ab’s Control System album, available now via iTunes. Take a listen and be on the lookout for more from the Top Dawg Entertainment representative.
Written by WriterJones on 06/21/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)