Normally, I would not approve nor condone a young artist’s bold decision of sampling a soul legend’s music. I would say first, do your homework and find out what said legend is/was about, then and only then, can you attempt to use their music as your own. In the case of Ab-Soul’s Lust Demons featuring recent DJBoothTV interviewee BJ The Chicago Kid and his fellow TDE labelmate Jay Rock, the jury is undecided. The West Coast youngster did a decent job in doing Isaac Hays’s Aruba some justice as he put his own 2012 spin on the struggle between having a conscience and promiscuity. Although I don’t think he outdid the original, I will say that Ab owned the track with his unique style and creative approach to the song. Lust Demons is indeed a standout cut on Ab’s Control System album, available now via iTunes. Take a listen and be on the lookout for more from the Top Dawg Entertainment representative.
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.