Normally, I would not approve nor condone a young artist’s bold decision of sampling a soul legend’s music. I would say first, do your homework and find out what said legend is/was about, then and only then, can you attempt to use their music as your own. In the case of Ab-Soul’s Lust Demons featuring recent DJBoothTV interviewee BJ The Chicago Kid and his fellow TDE labelmate Jay Rock, the jury is undecided. The West Coast youngster did a decent job in doing Isaac Hays’s Aruba some justice as he put his own 2012 spin on the struggle between having a conscience and promiscuity. Although I don’t think he outdid the original, I will say that Ab owned the track with his unique style and creative approach to the song. Lust Demons is indeed a standout cut on Ab’s Control System album, available now via iTunes. Take a listen and be on the lookout for more from the Top Dawg Entertainment representative.
Written by WriterJones on 06/21/12
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.