When you see a song with a title like Hell Yeah, you expect it to be a raw and aggressive banger that’s loud and in your face. (Unless you’re listening to Ginuwine’s Hell Yeah.) With Ab-Soul, you get what you’d expect and then some with the help of his buzzmaking TDE brethren Schoolboy Q. Sounwave’s production consists of a string sample accompanied with a heavy snare and just the right amount of kick to have you bobbing your head; from the first bar you know it is going to be one of those beats that leaves you completely amped. Thankfully, Q and Soul lyrically are extra hard on the mic as well. Although the record’s laced with plenty of “yeah…” ad libs, which unfortunately may remind some of Gucci Mane, the duo makes up for it with strong punchlines and a hyped flow that will have you yelling “oh hell yeah!” If you aren’t into the slow music for Valentine’s Day, I suggest cranking your speakers up and get ready for Soul’s upcoming and currently unscheduled project, Longterm Mentality.
Written by JRTheWriter on 02/10/11
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.