Scientists long held that psychological ailments can’t be transferred through musical means, but they may have to rethink that conclusion in light of recent evidence. Weezy‘s latest Carter IV selection found the New Orleans megastar suffering from an acute case of Rick Ross Syndrome and now, on new single Gone Insane, West Coast buzzmaker Ab-Soul‘s developed all the telltale symptoms: morbid lyrical fantasies, an decidedly unhinged flow, an obsession with deceased musical icons – the works. As often occurs, though, the artist’s loss of mental stability is fans’ gain. With Ayiro‘s woozy acoustic-guitar arpeggios and fingersnap-driven percussion, the Lifestyles of the Broke & Famous emcee goes for the gold medal in crazy, opening the record with the announcement “I feel like I’m affiliated with the Illuminati, b*tch!” and getting progressively weirder from there. So, how about it, readers – now that Ab-Soul’s gone off the deep end, should he stay there? Whether or not you think lunacy’s a good look for the Booth regular, you can look forward to a full picture of the artist’s LongTerm: Mentality on April 5, when his new digital-only LP hits iTunes.
Written by richard on 03/27/11
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)