Plenty of hip-hop artists have tried to craft headphone-ready vibe-out music, but few seem able to strike the balance of hypnotic grooviness, ethereal melodicism, and smooth rhymes necessary to achieve maximum relax-i-tude (OK, that’s not a word, but you get what I’m driving at here). With Drift Away, the latest leak off his 2DopeBoyz/DJBooth-sponsored LongTerm 2 mixtape, Ab-Soul takes a shot at creating the perfect mellow-out joint. Beatsmith Pro Logics certainly gets his part of the job done, whipping up a dreamy, midtempo froth of synth-piano ambiance, and Ab comes with laid-back bars to match, recounting his efforts to get a certain enchanting shawty’s digits over the course of a series of chance meetings. As far as I’m concerned, the only thing stopping Drift Away from being a vibe-out cut par excellence is a slight whiff of dissonance on the sung hook – of course, it’s hard to get worked up about the details when the overall chill factor is so high. Your thoughts, readers? If you’re digging it, be sure to grab your free copy of Long Term 2: Lifestyles of the Broke & Almost Famous when it hits our frontpage on June 28.
Written by richard on 06/10/10
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.