TDE truly is a movement, and since Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock and ScHoolboy Q have all come out with new albums in the last year it’s got to be Ab-Soul’s turn to catch some spotlight. And since the crew rolls together, it only made sense that the entire Black Hippy clan joined forces for a remix and video to Soul’s previously featured Black Lip Bastard. The original’s beat remains seemingly untouched as Willie B (of Digi-Phonics) lays down a darkly pounding beat only lighted touched with vocal samples. Instead the remixing comes in the form of lyrical firepower from Kendrick, Rock and Q, all of whom join the headliner in laying down rhymes that could care less about mainstream acceptance. Or as Kendrick so eloquently puts it, “Calculate my steps and strategically take my time / even fallin off I land on the ass of Nicki Minaj.” The Black Lip Bastard (Remix) is a bonus track off Soul’s latest album Control System, out now.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/10/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.