Grimy street-tale laced hardcore rap has by-and-large lost its authentic feel thanks to the mass commercialization of the sub-genre. However, what Top Dawg Entertainment is putting together with their roster is re-invigorating the culture behind names like Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q’s recent release #HnC, and Ab-Soul’s latest single Black Lip Bastard. Here the California native raps with a spirit of doggery on the Willie B-produced track, creating an aggressive middle-finger filled song that is as tough as nails. Sounding more Detroit than Carson, Ab-Soul establishes himself as the next in line of TDE artists with something to say, and thus something for the streets and large.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/18/12
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)