Grimy street-tale laced hardcore rap has by-and-large lost its authentic feel thanks to the mass commercialization of the sub-genre. However, what Top Dawg Entertainment is putting together with their roster is re-invigorating the culture behind names like Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q’s recent release #HnC, and Ab-Soul’s latest single Black Lip Bastard. Here the California native raps with a spirit of doggery on the Willie B-produced track, creating an aggressive middle-finger filled song that is as tough as nails. Sounding more Detroit than Carson, Ab-Soul establishes himself as the next in line of TDE artists with something to say, and thus something for the streets and large.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/18/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.