Grimy street-tale laced hardcore rap has by-and-large lost its authentic feel thanks to the mass commercialization of the sub-genre. However, what Top Dawg Entertainment is putting together with their roster is re-invigorating the culture behind names like Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q’s recent release #HnC, and Ab-Soul’s latest single Black Lip Bastard. Here the California native raps with a spirit of doggery on the Willie B-produced track, creating an aggressive middle-finger filled song that is as tough as nails. Sounding more Detroit than Carson, Ab-Soul establishes himself as the next in line of TDE artists with something to say, and thus something for the streets and large.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/18/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.