Grimy street-tale laced hardcore rap has by-and-large lost its authentic feel thanks to the mass commercialization of the sub-genre. However, what Top Dawg Entertainment is putting together with their roster is re-invigorating the culture behind names like Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q’s recent release #HnC, and Ab-Soul’s latest single Black Lip Bastard. Here the California native raps with a spirit of doggery on the Willie B-produced track, creating an aggressive middle-finger filled song that is as tough as nails. Sounding more Detroit than Carson, Ab-Soul establishes himself as the next in line of TDE artists with something to say, and thus something for the streets and large.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/18/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)