Grimy street-tale laced hardcore rap has by-and-large lost its authentic feel thanks to the mass commercialization of the sub-genre. However, what Top Dawg Entertainment is putting together with their roster is re-invigorating the culture behind names like Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q’s recent release #HnC, and Ab-Soul’s latest single Black Lip Bastard. Here the California native raps with a spirit of doggery on the Willie B-produced track, creating an aggressive middle-finger filled song that is as tough as nails. Sounding more Detroit than Carson, Ab-Soul establishes himself as the next in line of TDE artists with something to say, and thus something for the streets and large.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/18/12
Submit your Rating
Top Dawg Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.