Though Ahmad Belvin is primarily a pop/R&B artist, it’s his early-‘80’s hip-hop-influenced sound that sets him apart from the pack. That unique style has clearly worked to his advantage; A.B.‘s latest promo single, Batman, got over a million MySpace plays, ultimately netting him a deal with T-Pain‘s Nappy Boy Entertainment via J Records. Four months after he signed on the dotted line, the Booth newcomer’s released his first official single, a club banger dedicated to his Trophy Girl. Belvin’s label boss jumps on board to spit a memorable rap verse, but this cut owes the lion’s share of its pop appeal to Danja, who delivers a Timbo-style instrumental sure to get everyone out onto the floor. So, fellas, next time you head to the local spot with your Trophy Girl in tow, call the DJ in advance and put in a request—if enough guys follow this advice, the track could easily break the Billboard Top 10.
Written by Burmy on 07/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.