Last we heard from A Rapper Name Dame, he was expressing his regret that he’d embroiled himself in the violence and treachery of the urban jungle rather than doing what Mama Told [Him] and staying on the straight and narrow. That joint, however, only told half the story; on mixtape leak Kings and Gods, making its world premiere in the Booth, the Houston buzzmaker reveals that he wasn’t just a victim of circumstance; though he came to the street life to fill his stomach, he stayed for the intoxicating—and addictive—feeling of omnipotence that came with his dangerous lifestyle. Over Deputy‘s bruising production, featuring the oft-sampled break from Syl Johnson’s Different Strokes, the emcee exults, “You in the presence of a God / You in the presence of a king… bow down and kiss the ring.” H-Town neighbor Mac UnderGravity guests on the front, outlining the vicious circle of paranoia that fuels the inner-city arms race: “Right now I can’t leave home without my nine, ‘cause everybody strapped, even a nine-year-old child.” Feeling this gritty jam? Keep it locked to the Booth for the latest tunes leading up to the March 13, release of Dame’s new street album, City of Syrup State of Mind Vol. 3.
Written by richard on 12/11/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)