At first glance, the title of Baltimore up-and-comer 810‘s second Booth feature seems a little… contradictory. Though the rapper claims to be a Glass Half Full kind of guy, dropping a single called U Wont Like This is pretty much as pessimistic as it gets—what gives? Well, in addition to being a clever bit of reverse psychology, the title ties into the record’s central theme: self-doubt. Backed by Pay Day producer Mydus’ sample of ‘90s girl group SWV’s Think You’re Gonna Like It, 810 segues from the heart-pounding prospect of approaching a beautiful woman to the equally nervewracking pressure that comes with exposing one’s artistic vision to public scrutiny and possible ridicule, explaining that, though he’s perfectly confident in his abilities, there’s always that little voice in the back of his mind whispering, “What if the haters are right?” If you’ve ever risked looking ridiculous in pursuit of a dream, you’re sure to identify with the feeling described here, and if you haven’t, well, that feeling is probably why you haven’t. Regardless, I think a lot of Booth readers will like this—if you do, it’s a good bet you’ll find even more to like on Glass Half Full, set to drop in late July/early August.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pay Day" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.