At first glance, the title of Baltimore up-and-comer 810‘s second Booth feature seems a little… contradictory. Though the rapper claims to be a Glass Half Full kind of guy, dropping a single called U Wont Like This is pretty much as pessimistic as it gets—what gives? Well, in addition to being a clever bit of reverse psychology, the title ties into the record’s central theme: self-doubt. Backed by Pay Day producer Mydus’ sample of ‘90s girl group SWV’s Think You’re Gonna Like It, 810 segues from the heart-pounding prospect of approaching a beautiful woman to the equally nervewracking pressure that comes with exposing one’s artistic vision to public scrutiny and possible ridicule, explaining that, though he’s perfectly confident in his abilities, there’s always that little voice in the back of his mind whispering, “What if the haters are right?” If you’ve ever risked looking ridiculous in pursuit of a dream, you’re sure to identify with the feeling described here, and if you haven’t, well, that feeling is probably why you haven’t. Regardless, I think a lot of Booth readers will like this—if you do, it’s a good bet you’ll find even more to like on Glass Half Full, set to drop in late July/early August.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pay Day" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.