At first glance, the title of Baltimore up-and-comer 810‘s second Booth feature seems a little… contradictory. Though the rapper claims to be a Glass Half Full kind of guy, dropping a single called U Wont Like This is pretty much as pessimistic as it gets—what gives? Well, in addition to being a clever bit of reverse psychology, the title ties into the record’s central theme: self-doubt. Backed by Pay Day producer Mydus’ sample of ‘90s girl group SWV’s Think You’re Gonna Like It, 810 segues from the heart-pounding prospect of approaching a beautiful woman to the equally nervewracking pressure that comes with exposing one’s artistic vision to public scrutiny and possible ridicule, explaining that, though he’s perfectly confident in his abilities, there’s always that little voice in the back of his mind whispering, “What if the haters are right?” If you’ve ever risked looking ridiculous in pursuit of a dream, you’re sure to identify with the feeling described here, and if you haven’t, well, that feeling is probably why you haven’t. Regardless, I think a lot of Booth readers will like this—if you do, it’s a good bet you’ll find even more to like on Glass Half Full, set to drop in late July/early August.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pay Day" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)