This past July, 50 Cent released New Day, a beefed-up Alicia Keys single that featured additional accompaniment from Dr. Dre. Despite Curtis’ powerful collaborators and his longtime track record, the single made little noise. Then in November, the rap tycoon treated fans to the Eminem and Adam Levine-assisted My Life, which again despite it’s A-List feature nods failed to catapult Fiddy to the top of the charts. Two months later, after the calender had flipped to 2013, 50 unleashed the sure-to-hit, ironically-titled Major Distribution, which boasted accompaniment from fellow veterans Snoop Dogg and Young Jeezy. And… yeah, you know the rest. Now, with no release date in sight for his Street King Immortal album, the G-Unit head honcho has leaked We Up, featuring label signee Kidd Kidd and everyone’s favorite rapper Kendrick Lamar. Does this move mean that 50 is willing to take a backseat, no freestyle, to Mr. good kid, m.A.A.d city? Probably not, but one listen to We Up and it’s clear that 50 is to Kendrick, like T.I. was to Andre 3000 on Sorry. But hey, whatever works.
Update: Interscope has released an updated version of the single, no longer featuring a guest verse from Kidd Kidd, which can be heard in the Eif Rivera-directed visuals.
Written by DJ Z on 03/25/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.