Attention readers: a suspicious package has been found at DJBooth headquarters, and we have reason to believe it may be a bomb from the unfriendly folks at Al Qaeda. That, or a freshly-leaked cut off 50 Cent‘s forthcoming Gangsta Grillz tape. The question is, do you feel lucky? I do—and, having torn off the wrapping paper, I’m happy to say that Remain Calm is explosive only in the figurative sense. Kon Hathaway channels some ‘90s vibes on the production tip, layering a minimalistic, chopped sample over grimy boom-bap percussion, and Fitty comes with bars to match. Perhaps inspired by Nas’ recent single, Curtis injects a little “Don” sophistication into his swagger, ending his hard-nosed opener with the exclamation, “Pinky ring flawless, my God I’m gorgeous!” Assisting on the guest tip, West Coast icon Snoop Dogg and 50 protégé Precious Paris lace the record’s latter two-thirds with, respectively, libidinous tough talk and aggressive come-ons. Has this inaugural leak whet your appetite for more mixtape 50? Then keep your browsers locked for further fresh material leading up to the G-Unit general’s DJ Drama-presented The Lost Tape street album, set to hit the ‘net May 15.
Written by richard on 04/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.