Though Before I Self Destruct is set to mark 50 Cent‘s return to the darkly melodic style that made him Eminem‘s favorite underground MC, the Interscope brass aren’t about to give him the green light till he comes out with a mainstream hit. Today, we in the Booth proudly present what may well be the single that gets BISD (finally) onto store shelves! Though some might decry Baby By Me as a “sellout move,” 50’s always been flexible when it comes to getting hits. Two versions were premiered by Funkmaster Flex on Hot 97; here we have the “remix,” which finds Ne-Yo delivering a sung hook over Polow Da Don‘s beat (featuring a sample from 50’s own I Get Money). Was 50 right to work the pop-rap angle in hopes of making Before I Self-Destruct‘s November 17th release date stick? Let the debate begin…
Written by Burmy on 09/10/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)