At first blush, 2 Chainz’ swag-drenched, sexually-charged brand of Southern rap and The Weeknd‘s grimy, profoundly moody R&B seem like they’d mix about as well as oil and water—or bleach and ammonia. Turns out, though, they’re a little more like ice cream and french fries, or sausage and maple syrup: a surprising combo that turns out to be tastier than the sum of its parts. Don’t believe me? Simply take a listen to Chainz’ latest single, Like Me, which finds producer DJ Mano flipping a snippet from Thursday inclusion The Birds Pt. 1 into a preternaturally smooth, yet bumping backdrop for the Playaz Circle co-founder’s rhymes. Lyrically, the artist formerly known as Titi Boi is on his usual braggadocious ish. In between talking up his mic skills and his cash stacks, he finds time for some of his trademark, entertainingly unhinged bedroom lyricism, referencing a sex act named after the Thundercatzs (I’m still not totally sure what that entails.) and announcing that his girl’s “p*ssy so clean [he] could go to church in it.” Feeling it? Keep it locked for further details on the headliner’s as yet untitled Def Jam debut, scheduled for release this summer.
Written by richard on 03/15/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pimp C Back" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.