Can bubbly, infectiously soulful grooves and aggressive underground lyricism peacefully coexist on a single record? If you asked Boston rhymesayer Termanology and heavyweight producer Statik Selektah, together known as 1982, they’d answer with no hesitation: “Hell yes.” And, if you demanded proof, they’d simply flip on Start It Like This, a standout track off their latest EP. This newly-leaked cut finds Statik superimposing the titular quote, a line from Raekwon da Chef‘s classic contribution to C.R.E.A.M., over a bouncy piano loop that should have even the hardest-core hip-hop heads blissfully nodding along. Not to be outdone, Term laces the exuberant instrumental with some equally memorable rhymes, giving props to Nottz, Asher Roth and Freeway in between threatening to go Conan – the barbarian, not the late-night host – on his rivals’ asses. (And that’s after he forces them to “drink a bucket of p*ss”). Feeling this upbeat yet hard-edged jam? You can find plenty more where Start It came from on the twosome’s Evening News EP, out now online.
Written by richard on 01/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Darkest Cloud" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)