For every rapper who escapes the ‘hood and weathers the game’s slings and arrows to achieve hip-hop legendhood, hundreds of hungry hopefuls are left by the wayside. Determined to be among the elite few who climb to the top of the pile and stay there, Terrmanology and Statik Seletah join forces with two equally tenacious rhymesayers to dramatize their quest for greatness on Make It Out Alive, the latest leak off their sophomore collaborative set. Selektah sets the mood for a hustle anthem, layering street-ready piano loops over subtly martial percussion as his mic-rocking colleague reflects on the ruthlessness that has brought him this far: ”I put a lot of rappers in boxes and funerals / Treated ‘em wild like a red-headed stepchild.” Gary, Indiana phenom Freddie Gibbs grabs the mic on the middle, evoking the cycle of struggle, disappointment and redemption that preceded his rise to fame, and Long Beach stalwart Crooked I brings up the rear, vividly recounting his narrow escape from a life of crime (“The streets was a noose / The more I hang, the more I hang.”). Feeling this hard-hitting selection? More awaits on 1982’s 2012 LP, scheduled for release May 22.
Written by richard on 04/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Darkest Cloud" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.