There’s got to be a story here, but I guess we’ll just have to wait for 1982’s Behind the Music special to hear it. Frankly, I don’t know why the original version of Statik Selektah and Termanology’s single featured Big K.R.I.T., but the version that found its way onto their 2012 album left off Krizza’s verse. Sometimes it’s best not to ask questions and just get to listening – this is one of those times. For the beat Statik puts together an instrumental that’s pulls from more influences than I could possibly name, layering a smoothly haunting vocal sample over live percussion and organic synths. It’s all the reason Term needs to lay down some of his more seductive rhymes, while K.R.I.T. once again comes through with bars that are deeper than they might first appear; the man indeed must have been a king in his past life. Might I recommend that you cop this version of Lights Down and add it as a bonus track to your copy of 2012? Good, then that’s what I recommend. You’re welcome.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/10/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Darkest Cloud" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.