Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
In the contemporary consumer society, identity is one more commodity to be bought and sold. Whether you want to blend in with your peers or assert yourself as a unique individual, that style can be yours for the right price. Regardless, Booth newcomers 100dBs and Ryan-O’Neil aren’t about to let hip-hop become one more fashion for hipsters to try on now and discard later. On new single Wait a Minute, dBs creates a head-noddable, boom-bap backdrop for his mic-rocking partner’s iconoclastic dismissal of all store-bought personae: “Call me a critic, a cynic or f**king rigid, but I won’t give into any subscriptions / Not part of any scene, not part of any crowd / but my sound pounds loud, so you know what I’m about.” DJ Far East completes the picture with a titular sample from Public Enemy’s Shut Em Down, as well as borrowing some kitschy passages from How to Speak Hip, a comedic spoken-word album from 1959. For more, check out sophomore collaborative set Tea & Spliffs when it hits record stores and online retailers November 27.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view the duo’s Michael Riolo-directed Wait a Minute visual.
Written by richard on 01/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Power For The People" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.