Rap PSA time: Emcees, if you use production that features a sample from a legend in the game, then y’all better really come with it. Need an example? How about 100dbs & Ryan O’Neil’s latest single Power To The People, which draws its foundation from the legendary Curtis Mayfield’s record of the same name. 100dBs, who handles the boardwork, cooks up an understated, vintage production that is littered with Mayfield’s sultry vocals and a few other well placed samples. The New Yorker’s well-composed, dynamic boardwork is a perfect match with O’Neil’s understated, yet quirky and captivating flow that dives headfirst into the type of astute social commentary that would make Mayfield proud. Want more power? Then be sure to check out the dynamic duo’s album Tea & Spliffs album, set for release later this month via HiPNOTT Records .
Written by Lucas G. on 11/15/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)