Rap PSA time: Emcees, if you use production that features a sample from a legend in the game, then y’all better really come with it. Need an example? How about 100dbs & Ryan O’Neil’s latest single Power To The People, which draws its foundation from the legendary Curtis Mayfield’s record of the same name. 100dBs, who handles the boardwork, cooks up an understated, vintage production that is littered with Mayfield’s sultry vocals and a few other well placed samples. The New Yorker’s well-composed, dynamic boardwork is a perfect match with O’Neil’s understated, yet quirky and captivating flow that dives headfirst into the type of astute social commentary that would make Mayfield proud. Want more power? Then be sure to check out the dynamic duo’s album Tea & Spliffs album, set for release later this month via HiPNOTT Records .
Written by Lucas G. on 11/15/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)