Rap PSA time: Emcees, if you use production that features a sample from a legend in the game, then y’all better really come with it. Need an example? How about 100dbs & Ryan O’Neil’s latest single Power To The People, which draws its foundation from the legendary Curtis Mayfield’s record of the same name. 100dBs, who handles the boardwork, cooks up an understated, vintage production that is littered with Mayfield’s sultry vocals and a few other well placed samples. The New Yorker’s well-composed, dynamic boardwork is a perfect match with O’Neil’s understated, yet quirky and captivating flow that dives headfirst into the type of astute social commentary that would make Mayfield proud. Want more power? Then be sure to check out the dynamic duo’s album Tea & Spliffs album, set for release later this month via HiPNOTT Records .
Written by Lucas G. on 11/15/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.