Rap PSA time: Emcees, if you use production that features a sample from a legend in the game, then y’all better really come with it. Need an example? How about 100dbs & Ryan O’Neil’s latest single Power To The People, which draws its foundation from the legendary Curtis Mayfield’s record of the same name. 100dBs, who handles the boardwork, cooks up an understated, vintage production that is littered with Mayfield’s sultry vocals and a few other well placed samples. The New Yorker’s well-composed, dynamic boardwork is a perfect match with O’Neil’s understated, yet quirky and captivating flow that dives headfirst into the type of astute social commentary that would make Mayfield proud. Want more power? Then be sure to check out the dynamic duo’s album Tea & Spliffs album, set for release later this month via HiPNOTT Records .
Written by Lucas G. on 11/15/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait a Minute" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.