Any Cure fans in the house? While I’d be a little surprised to find the Booth readership teeming with lovers of the elaborately-coiffured goth-pop group, their classic New Wave sound is definitely ripe for a 2009 revamp. Enter Honor Roll freshman 1 O.A.K, whose first Booth feature finds him putting his own spin on the Cure’s ‘83 single The Lovecats. As the Oakland, California singer/instrumentalist/producer does his best Robert Smith impression, beatsmith Trackademics serves up a blend of swung percussion and ominous synths that, improbably, manages to sound more ‘80s than the original’s live-band backdrop. The end result has a decidedly left-of-center vibe, but the “Da da da” chorus is as insanely catchy as the day it was written, and this version’s compulsively head-nodding double-time outro should ensure it stays in listeners’ heads for days to come. 1 O.A.K.‘s forthcoming covers project, produced entirely by Trackademicks, has yet to receive a title or release date, but fans can watch a live performance of this track here.
Written by richard on 12/14/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Ludacris ft. Miguel - Good Lovin’
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.