Any Cure fans in the house? While I’d be a little surprised to find the Booth readership teeming with lovers of the elaborately-coiffured goth-pop group, their classic New Wave sound is definitely ripe for a 2009 revamp. Enter Honor Roll freshman 1 O.A.K, whose first Booth feature finds him putting his own spin on the Cure’s ‘83 single The Lovecats. As the Oakland, California singer/instrumentalist/producer does his best Robert Smith impression, beatsmith Trackademics serves up a blend of swung percussion and ominous synths that, improbably, manages to sound more ‘80s than the original’s live-band backdrop. The end result has a decidedly left-of-center vibe, but the “Da da da” chorus is as insanely catchy as the day it was written, and this version’s compulsively head-nodding double-time outro should ensure it stays in listeners’ heads for days to come. 1 O.A.K.‘s forthcoming covers project, produced entirely by Trackademicks, has yet to receive a title or release date, but fans can watch a live performance of this track here.
Written by richard on 12/14/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.