Wale & Cyhi Da Prynce Show Off in Clemson’s LittleJohn Coliseum [Exclusive Coverage]
Clemson, S.C. -- One of the best parts of my job involves concert reviews. That being said, during my tenure there have been shows that have failed to live up to the hype, and then there are ones that have completely passed my expectations. I’m glad to say that the performance I went to Thursday night was the later, and it has reinvigorated my fandom for the man known as Wale Folarin.
Since Wale signed to Maybach, I’ve been more of an absentee supporter of the music he’s been putting out. Not that it’s even bad (some of it has been pretty damn good), but I will always use 100 Miles & Running and A Mixtape About Nothing as benchmarks for my favorite Folarin tracks. As a dynamic entertainer the D.C. native knows and appreciates fans of the old and new material, and captivated the audience by time-traveling effortlessly between his projects onstage. His impressive set was worth the wait, and included radio hit “Chillin’”, Attention Deficit highlight “90210” and underground smash “W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E.”
Not to be an afterthought, the opening from G.O.O.D. Music labelmate Cyhi Da Prynce was just as good as last year’s A3C performance. He dominated his list, including “Woopty Doo”, “Bulletproof”, and his feature on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “So Appalled.”
All in all, this was an exciting campus concert that I’ll have fond memories of, and will look for more to come from these two talented artists.
As a side note, listeners should also keep a lookout in college campuses (and venues in general) for Whirltime Records. Along with being extremely helpful, they put on one of the most seamless shows I’ve been to in awhile and plan to bring more hip-hop/electronica shows to areas where those genres have not been evident.
Written by Sigurd on 09/19/11
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.