Usher Stands Alone at #1 in 5 Countries
New York, NY -- LaFace/Zomba recording artist Usher debuts at No. 1 on SoundScan's Pop and R&B Albums charts with his fifth studio album, Here I Stand. This is the highest debut of the year for a male artist.
Here I Stand is the Atlanta-based singer's second No. 1 debut on the Top 200 Albums chart and his third No. 1 debut on the R&B Albums chart. This week Usher dominates international charts as well, bowing at No. 1 in Canada, Japan (International Chart), Australia, and for the third time in a row, debuts at No. 1 on the UK Albums chart. Additionally, Here I Stand enters Top 5 on album charts in Ireland, Switzerland, New Zealand and the Netherlands.
Fans and critics have praised the singer/songwriter's newest effort: The New York Times declares, “Usher knows what works in the suave come-ons that have made him the male R&B sex symbol for a generation;” Entertainment Weekly raves, “…Stand’s tunes deserve a place in the dance-floor pantheon;” The Los Angeles Times observes, “… [Here I Stand] a more accomplished version of “Confessions,” the hooks more effortless, the singing even better, the songwriting more consistent.”
Usher’s latest certified hit, “Love In This Club” featuring Young Jeezy, has remained a Top 10 staple on Billboard’s Hot 100 Singles chart for 14 consecutive weeks and has sold close to 3 million digital units (digital singles, ringtones and ringbacks) to date. The poignant follow-up single, “Moving Mountains” is rapidly climbing the singles charts and the riveting video, filled with breath-taking special effects, recently debuted on MTV and BET.
Usher Raymond IV started his multi-faceted career at the age of 15-years old, and over the span of his 14-year career, the five-time Grammy winning singer, songwriter, dancer, actor, and entrepreneur has sold 26 million albums worldwide.
Written by DJ Z on 06/5/08
You Might Like...
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.