Tyga Talks Release of New T-RAWW Sneaker for Reebok [Exclusive Interview]
Lil’ Wayne isn’t the only Young Money rapper with a signature shoe line – his label mate Tyga has officially joined the ranks with his forthcoming T-RAWW collection. On January 21, Reebok Classics hosted a private launch for a select group of sneaker heads at the New York Knicks vs. Brooklyn Nets game to discuss his latest endeavor. Moderated by celebrity photographer Jonathan Mannion (who also directed the official commercial), Tyga gave media a brief walk-through of the new T-RAWW sneaker as the Nets defeated the Knicks in a game that came down to the wire. I also chatted with the Cali rapper to learn the basis for creating his mid-top from conception to completion:
Ru Porter (for DJBooth): For those who may not know, where does the name T-RAWW come from?
Tyga: T-RAWW is one of my aliases that I have; it’s a personality – someone who’s real, confident in what they do. At the same time it’s about taking risks too.
Ru Porter: What was the basis for each colorway? Are any of them your favorite colors?
Tyga: Some are, but I chose to go with all the basics that people are attracted to: black, blue, green, white. I also have patent leathers, animal print and others that will be coming out later this year.
Ru Porter: The T-RAWW sneakers remind me of Pharrell’s ice creams. Is that where your inspiration for the unique silhouette stems from?
Tyga: Yea, and back home in Cali, we wear a lot of Chucks and Vans; we don’t really like big bulky shoes, so I wanted something that reminded me of home. Plus, I like high-end kicks with European cuts like YSL’s too.
Ru Porter: During the launch, you mentioned that Pharrell gave you advice. Can you share some insight about what he said?
Tyga: When the ice cream sneakers originally came out, they were priced really high; they were the same price as Louis Vuitton’s sneakers and that was one of his biggest regrets, so with T-RAWW, I priced them at $80 so my fans would be able to afford them.
Bold yet minimalistic, the first T-RAWW colorway releases feature monochromatic color treatments, which make this neat mid-cut silhouette stand out from any other Reebok sneaker. Look for a new pair of these affordably high-fashion-meets-skate inspired kicks to drop every month of the year at Shiekh retailers, with ‘blue sport’ debuting on January 25, while the ‘excellent red’ will arrive on Valentine’s day, and the T-RAWW green is scheduled for St. Patrick’s Day.
Written by Ru Porter on 01/24/13
You Might Like...
- Common on “Nobody’s Smiling”, Chicago & His 5 Best Albums (Interview)
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- S1: Kanye’s “Guilt Trip” Was for “Watch The Throne”, Has Jay Z Verse #A3CProAudio
- S1 on Producing Logic’s “Under Pressure”, Raekwon x A$AP Rocky & More (#A3CProAudio)
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.