Twin Cities’ R&B singer Auburn Inks Deal With JR Rotem’s Beluga Heights via Epic/Koch
St. Paul, MN - At the young age of 18, R&B singer Auburn has accomplished a feat not many other artists from Minnesota have before; get signed to a major label.
The St. Paul resident, whose independent debut album Same Girl has spawned the moderate underground hit "Ewww Ewww" featuring Chellie B. (which peaked at #6 on DJBooth's Underground chart), has teamed up with super producer Jonathan "JR" Rotem (and his Beluga Heights label) to release her major label debut, which will be distributed through Epic/Koch.
Rotem, who has produced hit singles for artists such as Rihanna, 50 Cent, Rick Ross, and Chamillionaire, previously inked future phenom Sean Kingston, whose self-titled debut (which was released under Beluga Heights) spawned the '07 summer anthem, "Beautiful Girls," as well as Top 10 singles "Me Love" and "Take You There."
Although JR is executive producing the currently-untitled major debut, Auburn will remain under her Urban World management imprint. According to manager Tim Wilson (who, along with co-manager Roberta Ryan, manages other local artists such as DJ Youngstar and Young Bishop), Ms. Williams will head to Hollywood around the date of the 50th Annual Grammy Awards (on February 10th) and remain there throughout the spring to work on the album.
A release date for the project has not yet been announced as of press time.
Story written by Mike "M. Burmy" Burmeister
Written by DJ Z on 01/21/08
You Might Like...
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.