This Week in Hype: Chance’s Anniversary, the Hardest Podcast With Locksmith & More
I'm really not sure why, but I keep putting out these "This Week in Hype" podcasts, and y'all keep asking for me. You're probably drunk, but hey, I got love for my fellow drunks. So we'll just have to keep 'em coming then.
This week, I attempt to figure out Chance the Rapper's place in the game now that "Acid Rap" is one year old, and talk to Locksmith about being brave enough to talk about sexual abuse in his raps, making grown man music and much more.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shout out to Tino for that dope theme song. You can now hear Tino's story in full on the podcast.
* My wife's out of town and suddenly I'm acting like Macaulay Culkin in "Home Alone".
* On the one-year anniversary of "Acid Rap", I break down the project's impact, and think about Chance's place in the game. Is he the biggest indie hip-hop success story in hip-hop anniversary? Is he secretly signed to a label? How do we not know more about the last 365 days of what his life's been like behind the scenes?
* I bring on Locksmith to talk about his new album, "A Thousand Cuts", and more specifically his "Hardest Song Ever", which delves into the sexual abuse he suffered as a child. This is one of the realest interviews I've ever done, my most sincere thanks to Locksmith for being brave enough to have this discussion.
* You should follow Locksmith, and stream his album "A Thousand Cuts" here. You can watch "The Hardest Song Ever", and find tour dates and more info here.
* This week's closing song, Big K.R.I.T.'s "Mt. Olympus".
CHECK OUT PREVIOUS EPISODES HERE.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth, the proprietor of RefinedHype, and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/2/14
You Might Like...
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.