This Week in Hype: Chance’s Anniversary, the Hardest Podcast With Locksmith & More
I'm really not sure why, but I keep putting out these "This Week in Hype" podcasts, and y'all keep asking for me. You're probably drunk, but hey, I got love for my fellow drunks. So we'll just have to keep 'em coming then.
This week, I attempt to figure out Chance the Rapper's place in the game now that "Acid Rap" is one year old, and talk to Locksmith about being brave enough to talk about sexual abuse in his raps, making grown man music and much more.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shout out to Tino for that dope theme song. You can now hear Tino's story in full on the podcast.
* My wife's out of town and suddenly I'm acting like Macaulay Culkin in "Home Alone".
* On the one-year anniversary of "Acid Rap", I break down the project's impact, and think about Chance's place in the game. Is he the biggest indie hip-hop success story in hip-hop anniversary? Is he secretly signed to a label? How do we not know more about the last 365 days of what his life's been like behind the scenes?
* I bring on Locksmith to talk about his new album, "A Thousand Cuts", and more specifically his "Hardest Song Ever", which delves into the sexual abuse he suffered as a child. This is one of the realest interviews I've ever done, my most sincere thanks to Locksmith for being brave enough to have this discussion.
* You should follow Locksmith, and stream his album "A Thousand Cuts" here. You can watch "The Hardest Song Ever", and find tour dates and more info here.
* This week's closing song, Big K.R.I.T.'s "Mt. Olympus".
CHECK OUT PREVIOUS EPISODES HERE.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth, the proprietor of RefinedHype, and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/2/14
You Might Like...
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.