This Week in Hype: The Ernest Baker Special Edition
My apologies DJBooth Nation. The "This Week in Hype" podcast has been on hiatus for the last two weeks because I've been on
a Hunter S. Thompson-esque binge vacation. I know, I know, you've been crying yourself to sleep. But instead of apologizing, how about I make it up to you with a very rare double podcast week! That's right, it's a never before seen Monday edition of the podcast, and to make things even more special-er, I'm bringing on writer/pundit/digital renaissance man Ernest Baker.
Especially since his controversial interracial dating article, more words have been written about Baker then he's personally written, and that's more than fine with him. Over the next hour, we talk the importance of passion, ambition, impact and, of course, the superhuman nature of Diddy. Enjoy...
Discussed This Week:
* When we talked, Baker had just quit his 9-5 to focus entirely on writing, a common topic on the podcast.
* Balancing the narcissism and ambition needed to succeed in the public sphere with, you know, not becoming a total dick.
* Drawing motivation from the life philosophies of one Mr. Sean Combs.
* The enormous response to his "The Reality of Dating White Women When You're Black" article.
* Much thanks to Ernest Baker for coming on and being a human. You should follow him @ernestbaker.
On a side note, I've decided to stop putting the podcast on iTunes for a variety of internet nerdy reasons. (If this is infuriating, let me know and I might reinstate it.) On the plus side, you can now follow the podcast on AudioMack, so you've got that going for you.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on 07/21/14
You Might Like...
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.