This Week in Hype: Dr. Dre’s $3 Billion Beats, Global Rap & More
Welcome to another episode of the "This Week in Hype" podcast. I promised y'all nothing would change with the new merger, and it hasn't. I'm still swearing, making little to no sense for long stretches of time, and giving away free shit. You're welcome.
This week, I start off digging into the reasons behind the aforementioned RefinedHype x DJBooth merger, try to figure out what Apple buying Beats means for Dr. Dre and the future of music, bring on Nation citizen Thomas to talk about hip-hop in Europe and much more.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shout out to Tino for that dope theme song (which he's currently reworking to reflect the merger). You can now hear Tino's story in full on the podcast.
* This week it became official, Apple bought Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine's Beats for three billions dollars; or as I call it, three bills. What does that mean for the fledgling Beats Music and Dr. Dre as Apple's newest employee? Maybe not a whole lot.
* Nation citizen Thomas hit me up and (basically) said, "I live in Denmark. I think it'd be dope to talk about what hip-hop's like here, and how U.S. hip-hop translates to Europe." And you know what, it was a dope conversation. You should follow that man on Twitter @Ambitious_Dane.
* As promised, Thomas hit me with a list of artists that are big in Denmark but are basically just Future and Drake rip-offs (Sivas and Gilli) and ones that are pretty dope in their own right (Ukendt Kunster and Mund de Carlo).
* This week's closing song, the Barrel Brother's "Triangle Offense", because their new album is dopeness.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth, the proprietor of RefinedHype, and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on 05/30/14
You Might Like...
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.