This Week in Hype: 50’s Album Flops, Why I’m Not Listening to Rap & More
Welcome to another episode of the "This Week in Hype" podcast. I'm not saying you have to listen, I'm just saying don't be surprised if you get to heaven and discover god is a huge fan.
This week, I ride solo dolo. With no guest, I have plenty of time to really get into 50 Cent's anemic "Animal Ambition" sales (he got outsold by Iggy Azalea), why I haven't been listening to much hip-hop lately (because it's missing so much human emotion) and more. It's kind of a whole thing.
Discussed This Week:
* Tino came through with a new theme song and it's FUCKING AMAZEBALLS!?!?! You should follow Tino and hear Tino's story in full on the podcast.
* 50 Cent only managed to move 46K units first week on "Animal Ambition," which places him below Future and Iggy Azalea in terms of recent releases. How did a man who once went multi-platinum fall so far? And does it even really matter when he's still one of the most talked about people in hip-hop?
* An extended rant on why I haven't been listening to much hip-hop lately; rock can just do such a better job of really connecting to our lives because it's not as controlled as rap. Along the way I mention Jarren Benton's drummer, how dope Rage Against the Machine was, this song from Titus Andronicus and a whole lot more.
* This week's closing song, ¡MURSDAY!'s excellent "Here", featuring one of my favorite hooks of the year.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth, the proprietor of RefinedHype, and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on 06/13/14
You Might Like...
- Every Girl Drake’s Ever Mentioned in a Song Ever
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.