This Week in Hype: The Major Labels’ Broken Financial System, Trinidad James & More
I'd apologize for the lack of "This Week in Hype" podcasts lately, I'd make some excuse about how I've been moving to a new city and life's just crazy right now, but y'all have actual jobs that are infinitely easier than talking about hip-hop into a computer and I need to stop crying and start podcasting. I agree, let's do it...
This week, the end of the Trinidad James era at Def Jam sparks a mini-rant about the broken major label financial model, chasing bad money with bad money and whatever else happens to pop into my increasingly fried brain. Don't call it a comeback!
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* I kind of apologize profusely for my absence, and try to make up for it by giving away from free shit.
* Trinidad James got dropped Def Jam because Def Jam shouldn't have signed him in the first place.
* More specifically, I get into how the major labels are financially in too deep to fix themselves, my role in "So Dope" and more.
* This week's closing track, Kembe X's super dope "As I Unfold".
* Oh, and after much demand, the podcast is back on iTunes. You talk, I listen (if I feel like it).
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on 08/8/14
Featured In This Article
You Might Like...
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)