This Week in Hype: The Death of “Indie” Rap, 15 Minutes With Pusha T & More
Welcome to another episode of the "This Week in Hype" podcast. It's like Shakespeare, only with Rosa Acosta's titties instead of romantic sonnets. Other than that though, exact same thing.
After last week's special edition with Alex Wiley, we're back to the usual format this week. That means a trivia giveaway, a rant about Logic and whether "indie" hip-hop even exists anymore, and of course that one time I sat down with Pusha T and talked about the origins of his "yuck!!!" ad-lib.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shout out to Tino for that dope theme song. You can now hear Tino's story in full on the podcast.
* Logic had an interview with Peter Rosenberg this week in which he admitted he was secretly signed to Def Jam before the deal was announced. As the mindie rappers keep piling up, what does it even mean to be an "indie" artist anymore?
* This one time I sat down wish Pusha T - yeah, that Pusha T - and talked to him about his best verse and the origin of his ad-libs because, I mean, what else is there to talk to King Push about?
* Do I even have to do the usual spiel for Pusha? Not like you need any help tracking him down on the internet, but this is his Twitter and, I don't fucking know, if you don't own his Clipse and solo albums, you should.
* This week's closing song, the best verse Pusha ever did, "Keys Open Doors".
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/23/14
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.