This Week in Hype: The Death of “Indie” Rap, 15 Minutes With Pusha T & More
Welcome to another episode of the "This Week in Hype" podcast. It's like Shakespeare, only with Rosa Acosta's titties instead of romantic sonnets. Other than that though, exact same thing.
After last week's special edition with Alex Wiley, we're back to the usual format this week. That means a trivia giveaway, a rant about Logic and whether "indie" hip-hop even exists anymore, and of course that one time I sat down with Pusha T and talked about the origins of his "yuck!!!" ad-lib.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shout out to Tino for that dope theme song. You can now hear Tino's story in full on the podcast.
* Logic had an interview with Peter Rosenberg this week in which he admitted he was secretly signed to Def Jam before the deal was announced. As the mindie rappers keep piling up, what does it even mean to be an "indie" artist anymore?
* This one time I sat down wish Pusha T - yeah, that Pusha T - and talked to him about his best verse and the origin of his ad-libs because, I mean, what else is there to talk to King Push about?
* Do I even have to do the usual spiel for Pusha? Not like you need any help tracking him down on the internet, but this is his Twitter and, I don't fucking know, if you don't own his Clipse and solo albums, you should.
* This week's closing song, the best verse Pusha ever did, "Keys Open Doors".
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/23/14
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.