This Week in Hype: Rapper Free Agency, How Hip-Hop Sites Make Money & More
Only three things are guaranteed in life: Death, taxes and a new "This Week in Hype" podcast every Friday. Unless I'm too busy to do the podcast, in which case it's just death and taxes.
This week, I remain amazed at Drake's popularity, try to figure out whether Chance should sign with OVO, and bring on DJBooth and Audiomack founder Dave Macli to break down how money actually gets made on the rap internets. Also, cocaine.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* We all know Drake is a big deal. But do you really understand how big of a deal he is?
* I dig into our new Draft Day article and try to figure out the best label home for Lupe, Chance, Danny Brown and others.
* Dave Macli knows more about the interworkings of internets rap money than anyone I've ever met, it's what's allowed him to found both DJBooth and Audiomack. Plus, he continues to employ me, which is nice. I talk to him about how much traffic a site needs before it can even make beer money, how our relationship with Complex works (via drug dealing metaphors) and more.
* If you're a rapper with self-esteem issues looking to send Dave internet death threats, this is his Twitter.
* This week's closing track, Jeezy's new banger, "1-4 Block".
* If you subscribe to the podcast on iTunes I'll be your BFF.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on Aug 29, 2014
Featured In This Article
You Might Like...
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.