This Week in Hype: Hot Dogs, Chicago & Creativity with Alex Wiley
A new generation of artists have vaulted Chicago back into the national hip-hop spotlight, but while the drill scene certainly has an identifiable sound, the other movement in the Chi is defined by its drive to fight off easy definition. Singing, rapping, sweet memories of nostalgic child hood, horrible memories of murder, live jazz instrumention and 808s, these artists mix them all together fluidly, sometimes in the same song.
Alex Wiley is one of those artists making their name at the forefront of creativity. His "Club Wiley" project caught my ear, and after being promised his upcoming Village Party project, out June 5, would sound even more original, I welcomed the chance to sit down with Wiley when he stopped by LA on tour. We met at his hotel looking supremely comfortable - flip flops and a hoodie level comfortable - and over the next hour we proceeded to talk about sandwiches, his love of the Clipse, what it's like to develop as an artist under the internet's microscope, fucking nuns (of course) and much more.
I didn't necessarily intend to make this a "This Week in Hype" podcast, I was primarily recording the conversation to pull quotes from in a written piece, but listening back to it I think it's entertaining enough and does enough to show who Wiley is as an artist and human being to make it more than worth a post.
So I'm switching things up a little with a special edition of the podcast. That means no giveaway this week (I know), no rant from me, just a full hour of Wiley and I chopping it up. I'll be back again next week with the usual format. In the meantime, keep an ear out for "Village Party", follow Wiley, peep this week's closing track "Ova" and just generally enjoy the fuck out of this podcast.
It's nothing but not fronting....
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth, the proprietor of RefinedHype, and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/16/14
You Might Like...
- This Week in Hype: Chief Keef Dropped, Chance’s Mindie Status & Anderson .Paak
- This Week in Hype: Is Logic Next, Mannie Fresh’s Car, Magic City & More
- This Week in Hype: Stoned-Sober Thoughts, Riff Raff Stories With DJ T-GUT & More
- This Week in Hype: The Kendrick Lamar “i” Matrix, Lecrae, Lil Dicky & More
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.