The Road to SXSW: Thurz
The DJBooth is proud to announce that the Thurz will be rocking on our stage for this year's SXSW music festival in Austin. Thurzday was one half of Los Angeles' critically lauded sub-commercial rap duo U-N-I, and is now on a solo mission to make music that strives to stand for something - and succeeds.
Thurz, whose rap name nods to the weekday of his birth as a counterpart to his last name ("Koffi" actually means "born on a Friday" in Ghana's native language, Akan), recently released his breakthrough album L.A. Riot. As someone who had identified with Los Angeles his whole life, it was natural that his artistic manifesto chronicle the most defining moment in the city's modern history.
Welcome to the Nine Two Crew. A movement has begun.
DJBooth Hosted Projects: L.A. Riot.
Have you previously performed at SXSW?
This will be my first time performing at SXSW as a solo artist. I'm excited to rock
What are you looking forward to most about the experience?
I'm look forward to making new fans and friends, and giving people a memorable experience to recollect on what they listen to my music in the future.
What fellow artists are you most excited to see perform?
I'm most looking forward to seeing Santigold, Mobb Deep and Nas perform.
What are you working on in the weeks/months to come that our readers/your fans should know about?
I've got some new videos for Colors and Hell's Angel coming soon and a lot of new music. Be looking out for a tour hitting your city very soon!
If you'll be in Austin on Saturday, March 17, you'll want to check out DJBooth's SXSW stage, featuring Freeway, Skyzoo, Thurz and many more. For all things SXSW, including information on purchasing passes, check out A3CFestival.com.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/6/12
You Might Like...
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.