The Foreign Exchange Ready New Album For October, Offer Free Sampler
Brooklyn, NY – Four years after the release of their critically acclaimed debut, Connected, The Foreign Exchange in conjunction with Hard Boiled Records proudly announce their triumphant return with the sophomore set, Leave It All Behind.
Consisting of singer/songwriter Phonte and producer Nicolay, The Foreign Exchange came together via the online hip-hop community Okayplayer.com in 2002. After collaborating online via instant messenger for over a year, Nicolay (living in his native Holland) and Phonte (a Raleigh, NC resident) completed their debut album before actually having met each other face to face. The album, "Connected," was released in 2004 to stellar reviews, and was praised by legendary DJ's such as Jazzy Jeff, King Britt, and DJ Spinna for its inventive mix of hip-hop, R&B, and electronica.
"Leave It All Behind" finds The Foreign Exchange much closer in geography (Nicolay has since become a resident of Wilmington, NC), but located much further from their hip-hop origins. The duo's second full-length is a dark, multilayered affair that features Phonte showcasing his abilities as an exceptional lead and harmony vocalist, while Nicolay extends his musical palette to include sprinklings of jazz, downtempo, and house. The lush, Darien Brockington-assisted "Take Off the Blues" picks up where "Connected's" sleeper hit "Come Around" left off, while the complex polyrhythm and dreamy synthesizers of "Sweeter Than You" are described by Phonte as "swing jazz for the next century." Marc Mac (of legendary UK production team 4hero), also contributes a string arrangement to the duo's glorious cover of Stevie Wonder's oft-forgotten 1991 gem, "If She Breaks Your Heart."
Leave It All Behind hits shelves on October 14th on Hard Boiled Records, and has a digital street date of October 7th.
02. Take Off The Blues
03. All Or Nothing/Coming Home To You
04. I Wanna Know
05. House Of Cards
06. Sweeter Than You
08. If She Breaks Your Heart
09. If This Is Love
10. Something To Behold
11. Leave It All Behind
Download album sampler here
Written by richard on 09/18/08
You Might Like...
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.